Double-tap to edit.
Now I know dogs can get stomach viruses etc and a trip to the vet is rarely warented but when you know your dog as well as I know Q, it was needed. Over the following days she continued to refuse food, drank minimal water, stopped vomiting but started a rectal bleed, X-rays good, lab results all normal leading us to a referral to the Boundary Bay Animal Hospital for an ultrasound.
That was yesterday, and although it ruled out a lot it still left us with unanswered questions. So she also went in for surgery late yesterday. Again some questions answered but not all. We now await the results of several biopsies that were taken, we'll likely see them on Monday. Could it be cancer? Yes. Could it be other GI diseases? Yes. Time will hopefully tell.
Meanwhile, Quincy remains in the hospital with the same previous symptoms and recovering from surgery. An NG tube was used to feed her today hopefully it will trigger her desire to eat. Tomorrow the doctor and I will discuss the next step.
This is a very stressful time and good friends have been key in helping me make some big decisions. Our old vet in Surrey, Dr Daugee was amazingly supportive and informative when I needed a sounding board to help with some big decisions. And Dr' Evan Crawford and all the staff at Boundary Bay are amazing with Quincy. Many of you know how I don't trust many to care for Q as much as I do but I'm very comfortable with her in their care.
So tonight I sleep in my own bed for the first time since last Friday, not the floor with Q or a borrowed bed. Skye is now set to go to a day care this week so Q can have the necessary space and attention to recover. If she comes home tomorrow it may be with a feeding tube but she's worth it. Everything else about her indicates that she has a very long life ahead of her. We're not done yet 🙂